Ph.D. in Mechanical Design and Theory.
Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China.
- September 2003 to March 2005
Postgraduate study, in Materials Science and Engineering.
Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China.
- September 1999 to July 2003
Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering and Automation.
Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China.
- 2016-Present Professor of the School of Mechanical Engineering in the Southwest Jiaotong University.
- 2012-2016 Associate Professor of the School of Mechanical Engineering in the Southwest Jiaotong University.
- 2011-2012 Visiting scholar at University of Sheffield, UK.
- 2008-2010 Lecturer of the School of Mechanical Engineering and research assistant of the Tribology Research Institute in the Southwest Jiaotong University.
Recent Academic Research Experience
- 2017-2020 Design of brake pad of high speed strain with low brake noise based on friction interface optimization, National Natural Science Foundation of China (51675448).
- 2017-2019 Research on the Operation and Maintenance Key Technologies of Traction Power Supply and Communication Signal Equipment- Research on the Normalization of the Technology and Equipment of 250km / h and 350 km/h overhead lines equipment, Project of science and technology research and development plan of China Railway Corporation (major project) (2017J005-B).
- 2017-2018 Study on the data diagnosis and restraining method of brake noise for mining truck, the technical research of CRRC Qishuyan Locomotive Technology Research Institute Co. Ltd (Z2017-0078).
- 2016-2020 Industrial application of laser enhancement technology in aerospace and railway transportation, National key research and development plan (2016YFB1102600).
- 2016-2017 Study on the mechanism and restraining method of brake noise for mining truck, the technical research of CRRC Qishuyan Locomotive Technology Research Institute Co. Ltd (Z2016-0037).
- 2015-2016 Research on equipment technology of traction power supply system- Research on technology of new high-speed railway overhead lines equipment, Project of science and technology research and development plan of China Railway Corporation (2015J005-D).
- 2014-2017 Study on reducing brake squeal of high speed train by surface texturing, National Natural Science Foundation of China (51375408).
- 2014-2016 Study on the controlling mechanism of surface treatment on interface friction induced vibration and noise, new century excellent talent support program fund of the ministry of education (NCET-13-0974).
- 2013-2014 Research and development of intelligent preparation platform for overhead lines, Research and development of intelligent preparation platform for droppers, Science and technology development project of CRDC Co. Ltd (721306-1).
- 2012-2014 Study on the mechanism and prediction method of disc brake noise for high speed train, National Natural Science Foundation of High speed railway joint fund (U1134103).
- 2011-2013 Study on mechanism of surface texture on friction-induced vibration and noise, National Natural Science Foundation of China (51005191).
- 2011-2013 The basic research of operation and damage mechanism for rotational fretting, Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China (20100184120003).
- 2007-2011 The basic research of key problems of the security service of high-speed train, multi-mode coupled complex fretting failure mechanism and protection, Project 973 (2007CB714704)
- 2005-2007 The study and design of the industrialization of nano-dot matrix coating of titanium alloy cutting tools, Sichuan province key breakthrough project（04CN032-009）
Recent Academic Conference Experience
- 2017 Invited speech at the 6th World Tribology Congress (Bejing, China)
- 2017 Invited speech at the 1st International Youth Conference of Bionic Science and Engineering (Lanzhou, China)
- 2016 Invited speech at the National Youth Conference on Tribology (Xian, China).
- 2015 Invited speech at the National Conference on Tribology (Chengdu, China)
- 2015 Invited speech at the 6th Advanced Forum on Tribology (Wuhan, China)
- 2017 "Tianjin science and technology progress third prize"
- 2016 "Wen-shizhu Maple Leaf Award - outstanding young scholar award"
- 2016 "Zhan-tianyou Special Award" (youth award)
- 2016 "Tang-lixin outstanding scholar award"
- 2015 "The second prize of Railway Science and Technology" (No. 6)
- 2013 "New Century Excellent Talent Program of the Ministry of education"
- 2012 "First prize of the Natural Science Award of the Ministry of Education"(No. 7)
- 2011 "Southwest Jiaotong University high-level teachers team plan"
- 2010 "National excellent doctoral dissertation nomination"
- 2009 "Sichuan province excellent doctoral dissertation award"
- M.H. Zhu, X.Y. Liu, J.F. Peng, J.L. Mo, Z.B. Cai, Z.B. Xu, W.L. Zhang, Z.K. Lv, X. Jin. A pressure connection device for precise control of the pressure of the hoisting of a railway pantograph and overhead lines system. Chinese Utility Model Patent. 2017
- J.L. Mo, M. Zhang, J.Y. Xu, X.C. Wang, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. A finger friction test device. Chinese Utility Model Patent. 2017
- J.L. Mo, Z.G. Wang, A.Y. Wang, G.X. Chen, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. A low friction-induced vibration and noise of cast-iron braking disc with texturing surface for vehicle. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2016
- M.H. Zhu, J.F. Peng, X.Z. Wan, Z.B. Cai, X.L. Liu, Y.W. Lin, X.Y. Zhang, J.L. Mo, W.L. Zhang, X.Y. Liu. The fretting wear test equipment for X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy analysis in situ. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2016
- J.L. Mo, D.W. Wang, Q. Zhang, X.H. Ge, G.X. Chen, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. The collector of wear debris of vehicle for disc brakes. Chinese Utility Model Patent. 2015
- J. Luo, X.Y. Cui, X.D. Gu, J.L. Mo, X.Y. Shi. A pre-matching platform for droppers of overhead lines system. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2014
- J.L. Mo, X.H. Gai, D.B. Luo, Q.J. Huang, G.X. Chen, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. Test bench for brake noise of high-speed train disc brake. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2014
- J.L. Mo, X.Y. Shi, Z.G. Wang, G.X. Chen, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. A test analysis method of friction noise and test device. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2012
- G.X. Chen, W.J. Qian, J.L. Mo, Z.R. Zhou, M.H. Zhu. The suppressed small radius curve railway track system. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2012
- M.H. Zhu, Z.B. Cai, J.L. Mo, J.F. Peng, P.D. Ren, Y. Zhou, Z.R. Zhou, X.Y. Shi. Test method and device for environment controllable multi-directional fretting fatigue. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2012
- M.H. Zhu, M.X. Shen, Z.B. Cai, J.F. Peng, C. Song, J.L. Mo, Z.R. Zhou. A scaled test device for rotating and bending fatigue of train axle. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2011
- M.H. Zhu, M.X. Shen, J.L. Mo, Z.B. Cai, J.F. Peng, Z.R. Zhou. A test device and method for friction and wear of composite torsion fretting. Chinese National Invention Patent. 2010
D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, Z.Y. Zhu, H. Ouyang, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. Debris trapping and space-varying contact via surface texturing for enhanced noise performance. Wear, 2017, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2017.11.013. （IF: 2.531）
- J.Y. Xu, J.L. Mo*, X.C. Wang, X. Zhang, D.W. Wang, Z.R. Zhou. Effects of a horizontal magnetic field on unstable vibration and noise of a friction interface with different magnetic properties. Tribology International, 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.triboint.2017.12.019.（IF: 2.903）
- B. Tang, J.L. Mo*, X. Zhang, Q. Zhang, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. Experimental investigation of the squeal characteristics in railway disc brakes. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 2017, DOI: 10.1177/1350650117754002.（IF: 1.320）
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, Q. Zhang, J. Zhao, H. Ouyang, Z.R. Zhou. The effect of the grooved elastic damping component in reducing friction-induced vibration. Tribology International, 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.triboint.2017.02.031.（IF: 2.903）
- M.Q. Liu, J.L. Mo*, D.W. Wang, J.X. Li, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. The influence of the angular distribution of a grooved surface texturing on the generation of friction-induced vibration and noise. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 2017: 1350650117705568.（IF: 1.320）
- M. Zhang, J.L. Mo*, J.Y. Xu, X. Zhang, D.W. Wang, Z.R. Zhou. The Effect of Changing Fingerprinting Directions on Finger Friction. Tribology Letters, 2017, 65(2): 60.（IF: 1.891）
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, Z.Y. Zhu, H. Ouyang, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. How do grooves on friction interface affect tribological and vibration and squeal noise performance. Tribology International, 2017, 109: 192-205.（IF: 2.903）
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, M.Q. Liu, J.X. Li, H. Ouyang, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. Improving tribological behaviours and noise performance of railway disc brake by grooved surface texturing. Wear, 2017, DOI:10.1016/j.wear.2017.01.022.（IF: 2.531）
- X. Zhang, Y.F. Si, J.L. Mo*, Z.G. Guo*. Robust micro-nanoscale flowerlike ZnO/epoxy resin superhydrophobic coating with rapid healing ability. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2016.11.014.（IF: 6.216）
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, X.H. Ge, H. Ouyang, Z.R. Zhou. Disc surface modifications for enhanced performance against friction noise. Applied Surface Science, 2016, 382: 101-110.（IF: 3.387）
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, M.Q. Liu, H. Ouyang, Z.R. Zhou. Noise performance improvements and tribological consequences of a pad-on-disc system through groove-textured disc surface. Tribology International, 2016, 102: 222-236.（IF: 2.903）
- X.C. Wang, J.L. Mo*, H. Ouyang, D.W. Wang, G.X. Chen, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. Squeal Noise of Friction Material with Groove-Textured Surface: An Experimental and Numerical Analysis. Journal of Tribology, 2015, 138(2): 1-11.（IF: 1.521）
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, H. Ouyang, G.X. Chen, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. Experimental and numerical studies of friction-induced vibration and noise and the effects of groove-textured surfaces. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2014, 46: 191-207.（IF: 4.116）
- J.L. Mo*, Z.G. Wang, G.X. Chen, T.M. Shao, M.H. Zhu, Z.R. Zhou. The effect of groove-textured surface on friction and wear and friction-induced vibration and noise. Wear, 2013, 301: 671-681.（IF: 2.531）
- J.L. Mo, M.H. Zhu, A. Leyland, A. Matthews*. Impact wear and abrasion resistance of CrN, AlCrN and AlTiN PVD coatings. Surface & Coatings Technology, 2013, 215: 170-177.
- D.W. Wang, J.L. Mo*, Z.G. Wang, G.X. Chen, H. Ouyang, Z.R. Zhou. Numerical study of friction-induced vibration and noise on groove-textured surface. Tribology International, 2013, 64: 1-7.（IF: 2.903）
- Friction-induced vibration and noise (brake noise and brake wear).
- Vibration and noise reduction for vehicles (automotive and trains).
- Tribology, surface treatment and failure analysis.
- Dynamic finite element analysis.
Introduction of Tribology Research Institute
Tribology Laboratory was established by Prof. Liu Zhong-Hua in early 1980’s, based on the tribological research on the railway system. In 1997, Tribology Research Institute (TRI) was subsequently established. Up to now, TRI has been set up as a part of the National Traction Power Laboratory and the Key Laboratory of Advanced Technologies of Materials, Ministry of Education and contributes to the development of the national-level key discipline - Mechanical Engineering of Southwest Jiaotong University.
The research in TRI is multi-disciplinary with research backgrounds covering the mechanical engineering, materials science, mechanics, chemistry and etc. There are 24 academic staff, including 5 specially-appointed or chair professors of the Cheung Kong Scholars of Ministry of Education, 4 winners of National Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars, 3 experts from the One Thousand Talents Scheme, 1 High-Level Specialist of the State Foreign Experts Bureau, 2 awardees of the National Science Foundation for Excellent Young Scholars, 5 winners of the Trans-Century Training Program Foundation for the Talents by Ministry of Education; 1 Innovative Research Group of National Natural Science Foundation, 1 Innovation Team recognized by Ministry of Education and 1 Innovation Team recognized by Sichuan province. There are about 200 full-time post-doctoral, Ph. D. and Master students.
The current research fields of TRI mainly include the fretting wear, fretting fatigue and protective design, friction-induced vibration, noise analysis and control, wheel/rail tribology and design, nanotribology and micro/nano manufacturing, service behavior of key parts in aerospace, high-speed rail, and nuclear power plant, bio-tribology, medical devices and instruments, and bionic design, computational contact mechanics, signal-molecule mechanics etc. In recent years, the Institute has successfully carried out many research projects granted by government or supported by enterprises, including the Innovative Research Group, the Key and Major Program, Scientific Instrument Program of National Natural Science Foundation; Key Research and Development Plan, the National Basic Research Program (973), the National High-Tech Research and Development Program (863) of Ministry of Science and Technology; science and technology program of the Ministry of Education and Sichuan Province; the cooperation with international laboratories and companies. The research achievements have contributed greatly to the developments of science, technology and economy at national and international levels, which has established TRI as an important national research and education center of tribology.
Scientific research: Tribology Research Institute (TRI) has been granted one Second class prize of State Natural Science Award, two First Class Prizes of State Ministry of Education Natural Science Award, one Second Class Prize of State Ministry of Education Natural Science Award, one SNECMA Technology Award of The France Aerospace Group Company (Groupement des Industries Françaises Aéronautiques et Spatiales). More than 300 journal papers have been published in international peer-reviewed journals. More than 10 academic monographs or compiled writings have been published. More than 30 invited lectures have been presented at important international academic conferences. More than 30 National Invention Patents have been obtained. The research achievements have provided significant theoretical basis and core technology for the extension of the service life and the development of the important components of rail transit, nuclear power, aviation, medical apparatus and instruments and so on, at the same time produced important social and economic benefits.
Education teaching and personnel training: Tribology Research Institute (TRI) has been granted two First Class Prizes of National Teaching Achievement, three First Class Prizes of Sichuan Province Teaching Achievement. One National High-quality Video Course was given. TRI has trained more than 100 Ph. D and MSs students, including two postdoctoral research fellows. Four Ph. D theses have been awarded Provincial Excellent Doctoral Dissertation or Nomination Dissertation. One postdoctoral research fellow won the Sichuan Province outstanding postdoctoral award.
Domestic and foreign cooperation and exchanges: The international academic journal ‘Biosurface and Biotribology’, co-founded by Elsevier and Tribology Research Institute (TRI), has been selected into the China Science and Technology Journal International Influence Promotion Plan. Members of TRI have served as domestic and foreign academic journal editors and the international academic conference organizing committee members for many times; Tribology Research Institute (TRI) has organized Important domestic and foreign academic meetings for more than 10 times; There are also close personnel exchanges and substantial scientific research cooperation among Tribology Research Institute (TRI) and many well-known research institutions in the United States, France, Britain and other countries.